“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”
– Ansel Adams
- While this photo exudes a carefree youth, its compositional choices are risky. Breaking the traditional rules, the photographer took a risk in order to capture the moment.
- In addition to the unique compositional choices, notice the intentional use of overexposure.
- It’s light and airy, like the bounce in their step.
- The photographer also uses a low angle to show off the subject’s shadows, which seemingly dance in the sand.
- The energy of this poetic photo is contagious, and further proves how rules are meant to be broken.
- There is no right exposure, only the one that best expresses your vision.
Keep this in mind the next time you head out with your camera. Do you want to be the kind of photographer who plays it safe, or one who is willing to take chances in order to create something different?